Monday, May 7, 2012

Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, cinco, seis

To say that we like tacos in our house is a total understatement. We eat them a minimum of twice a week. I will take a taco over pretty much any other food. So last week Nate proposed that we eat tacos every day in celebration of Cinco de Mayo. (We even ended up celebrating Seis de Mayo with all of the leftovers we had.)

I wanted to share my favorite fish taco recipe with all of you. I found this and adapted it from a blog that seems to no longer be in existence. (It was called Talkin Chow Playin House, I think.) I feel like most people make fish tacos with fish sticks, but these use tilapia filets. (I buy mine at Costco.) They are seriously so easy and seriously so good.  

Ingredients:
• Tilapia filets
• Enough olive oil to fill up a small pot about 1/2 in to 3/4 inches full
• 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, rinsed, dried, and cut lengthwise (I have also used jalepenos from a jar and they work just as well)
• Salt
• Pepper
• Warm white corn tortilla
• Cilantro
• Lime wedges
• Slaw--make ahead and refrigerate by mixing together the following:
          • 1 bunch cilantro, leaves pulled off and chopped fine
          • 1/2 red cabbage, chopped into ribbons
          • 1 bunch green onions, chopped fine
          • 1/2 large purple onion, chopped into thin pieces 
          • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
          • 2 limes, zested and juiced

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the jalapeno pepper. It will pop and sizzle. Allow the jalapeno pepper to infuse the oil for 5 minutes. You can stir the oil and pepper a few times if you like. After the 5 minutes, remove from heat and remove jalapeno pepper, including seeds that may have fallen out. Let oil stand for a few minutes. While the oil cools, prep the fish.

Lay the tilapia filets on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. Drizzle jalapeno infused oil over the fish evenly (you can also leave the jalapeno on the cookie sheet). Sprinkle each filet generously with salt and pepper.

Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until fish is cooked through (it should flake easily when you try to cut it). Remove from oven and cut filets to fit inside tacos.

Serve fish on warm white corn tortillas with slaw, cilantro, and limes. I serve the tacos with rice and beans or a tropical fruit salad (mangoes, pineapple, kiwi). Enjoy!

6 comments:

Terril Family said...

Oh these look yummy... and fish tacos are one of my faves! Although I have never been able to find a recipe a really like, so I am looking forward to trying these. One question... is your tilapia breaded or just plain?

M.C. Sommers said...

The tilapia is plain, not breaded. I buy them at Costco in the frozen food section, but you could just buy filets from anywhere!

Margaret said...

This looks way better than the 3 bagels I had for breakfast. Way better. (That was a compliment.)

annie leavitt said...

you've read my mind! i've been looking for a good (but not too time intensive) fish taco recipe for forever.

thank you! we have taco tuesdays every week and we love it!

Alisha Erin said...

I am not all that wild about fish...do you have tacos any other way? I would LOVE some non-dairy suggestions for tasty tacos. Mine are usually smothered in sour cream and cheese, which is not an option now and I am suffering from taco withdrawal.

Brenda said...

Looks yummy! I love fish tacos and I like the idea of mixing the cabbage with the sauce ahead of time. Can't wait to try it!