Friday, May 11, 2012

She will be loved


When I was reading The Help, I about fell off my chair when I read the part where Aibileen tells Mae Mobley, "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." When I was growing up, my mom repeated a similar list to me each day (only with better grammar). My mom always said to me, "You are good, smart, and pretty."

It's so amazing (and scary) that young children will believe basically anything you tell them. I'm glad I had a mother who took the time to tell me I was good and smart and pretty.

She also told me on a daily basis that she was the luckiest person in the world because she was my mom. She had me convinced that making me breakfast, doing my laundry, and picking up my toys was the best job in the world.

When I started having friends my own age who became mothers, I was absolutely shocked to hear how much they complained about being moms. I honestly don't think I had any idea that my mom might have not loved every single moment of being a mom. That sounds completely silly now that I think about it, but I also think it's amazing that my mom was able to make me feel that I was so important. There is something about knowing that someone in the world is willing to do (and does) anything for you.That is a feeling that I hope to pass on to my own children someday. (I might just have to save my complaints for when they are not within hearing.)

I hope you all have a fabulous Mother's day. I love you, mom!

7 comments:

ynny said...

Beautiful, M.C. Perfect post for Mother's day. I honestly can't picture my mom complaining to her friends either, although I remember intuiting that there were days when she was so tired and SO stressed. I'm thankful for such an amazing example of patience and perseverance and love.

I think you and I are going to have amassed a wonderful amount of wisdom whenever we finally get to be moms. One positive thing about being made to wait longer than we'd choose. Hope it's ok to say that. Love to you friend.

Margaret said...

What a great post. Your mom sounds like the most perfect person in the whole wide world. You are also going to be a great mother because you had such an amazing example growing up. I just know it.

lindsay b. said...

This is such a great example of why moms are the best. They let children know they are the center of their universe. Your mom sounds fantastic.

Alisha Erin said...

I hope I can be to my children the kind of mom yours was to you.

Lindsay said...

I can't put it into words... because I don't even know why - but I'm sitting here crying after reading this post. After a very long day, thank you for reminding me that I have the best job.

Heather Lee said...

So sweet. There are definitely days for me that I do/want to complain abt the endless work of motherhood, but this is a good reminder not to. Or at least do it out of earshot. H says to me almost daily how much I love taking care of my babies and making them food and cleaning up their messes etc. it's almost comical but it's true, I wldnt want any other job in the world. And whoever said motherhood was a thankless job obviously didn't have my children. I always think they must be something special. Someday you'll make your kids feel exactly how your mom made you feel.

Heather Lee said...

So sweet. There are definitely days for me that I do/want to complain abt the endless work of motherhood, but this is a good reminder not to. Or at least do it out of earshot. H says to me almost daily how much I love taking care of my babies and making them food and cleaning up their messes etc. it's almost comical but it's true, I wldnt want any other job in the world. And whoever said motherhood was a thankless job obviously didn't have my children. I always think they must be something special. Someday you'll make your kids feel exactly how your mom made you feel.