Monday, February 13, 2012

love fest, day 9

I hope you all had a great weekend and spoiled yourselves. I ended up watching the last two episodes of Gossip Girl. It was just the guilty pleasure I needed. And I have to say that Blair's wedding was probably my favorite episode of all time (well so far). 

As promised, I have a really fun post for today--it's your complete Valentine's Day menu plan. (Does anyone else hate coming up with meal ideas as much as me?)


Breakfast: Love Pancakes


This was really easy. Just spelled out the word love. You could do hearts or names or whatever. Then serve them with some strawberries and whip cream or just plain old maple syrup. Or, coconut syrup. That's my all-time favorite.

Lunch: Tomato Soup & Heart-Shaped Grilled Cheese Sandwich


This is the best combo, especially on a cold winter day. If you are packing lunches, you could cut any sandwich into a heart shape using a cookie cutter or knife.  Maybe throw a toothpick in to keep it together? One of those fun little frilly ones, perhaps.

Dinner: Heart-Shaped Meatloaf


This is the pièce de résistance. My mom made this for every Valentine's Day growing up. She just made a meatloaf and then shaped it into a heart. I'm not normally a huge fan of meatloaf, but I always looked forward to it on Valentine's Day. {This photo is from Nate's and my first Valentine's Day together. He had no idea what he was getting himself into.}

I'm just realizing that I probably should have included a dessert. But here's the thing: I never need ideas for desserts. I always have about 10 new dessert recipes that I've been meaning to make or some classics that I've been craving. So I'm going to leave that part of the meal plan up to your imagination. 

Tonight Nate and I are heading out to a nice dinner. We figure we can beat the Valentine's Day crowd by going tonight and then get to enjoy both a nice night out and a nice night in--the best of both worlds. 

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Yum! I want to take the day off tomorrow to make all of this stuff! You should put pictures up the day after Valentine's to show us what you end up doing for the big day!

lindsay b. said...

heart-shaped meatloaf? I'm dying. That is such a great tradition. Have fun tonight! Great idea about skipping all the lines...especially in Provo, where Valentine's Day is a madhouse :)

Meg said...

ahh, i'll be missing the meatloaf this year. love that pic. first time we met nater.

Halie said...

I love making heart shaped pepperoni pizza for valentines day.