Friday, February 17, 2012

grumble grumble grumble

Lately I have been telling Nate that I feel like I complain too much. Yes, you heard right: I complain that I complain. My name is M.C. and I have a problem.

Last year I read this post on frolic! about how Chelsea made a pact to not complain for a week. I like the sound of that. A complaint fast, if you will.

I used to think that complaining was fine as long as you were witty in your criticism. But the truth is, being around a complainer is completely draining--especially if that complainer is yourself. (Does it count if I complain about complainers? There's a lot of metacomplaining going on here.)

I'm not saying that complaining isn't justified. It's just that I've found that it holds me back. I want to be a person who looks at the world and sees opportunities rather than obstacles. My hindsight is 20/20, but I usually struggle to see the luck staring me straight in my face.

This next week is going to be complaint free (but the goal is to have it last longer than a week). If you hear me utter so much as a slight annoyance in the next seven days, feel free to call me out on it. And I'll make sure to update you on my experience. Hopefully I'll be sporting a chic pair of rose-colored glasses this time next week.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Never thought of you as a complainer, but this is such a great idea! I like complaining when I can out-complain the other person. If I can't, then it sucks listening.

Lindsay said...

Love it... you put it so eloquently, "My hindsight is 20/20, but I usually struggle to see the luck staring me straight in my face." I concur. I'll work on this too! Thanks!!

Heather Lee said...

Oh man, I'd be eating the lining of my stomach at the end of the week if I attempted this. If men could really understand morning sickness I just know you'd hear a whole lot less of me relaying the message.
But it would be awesome if I were one of those ladies that no one even knew was pregnant bc I just maintained, better yet surpassed, my usual poise. Wait a second, YOU are that lady!

Brenda said...

I am a huge complainer, just ask Stacy - wait, maybe you'd better not remind him.