Monday, February 27, 2012

The girl next door

When I was in middle school, my family moved. It was only a few miles, but it meant a new house, a new school, a new neighborhood, even a new grocery store. I had changed schools a few times while in elementary school, but moving in middle school was a much more difficult experience for me. I switched schools before I moved into our new house so I prayed and prayed that I would have a girl my same age in my neighborhood to befriend. For some reason I had my heart set on the idea of a friend just down the street to go to the neighborhood pool with. Unfortunately, I never made such a friend.

{FYI--I did make friends. But all of them required some sort of transportation to hang out with.}

Last night our next-door neighbor invited us over for an Academy Awards party. We had some finger foods and filled out ballots of who we thought would win the Oscar. We talked about movies and books that inspired movies and actors and actresses. My neighbor even made Bavarian cream (or chocolate jello as her little girl calls it). It was delicious and the whole thing was just a lot of fun.


 And as I walked the 10 seconds it took me to get home, I realized that I finally have friends that live down the street, next door even. We're not all the same age and it's a dozen years later than I had hoped, but that doesn't mean I appreciate them any less.

Now if only we had a neighborhood swimming pool to visit.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Anyone who makes Bavarian cream for you is a good friend.

I have some potatoes you can have if you're still hungry. Just wheel on over, neighbor.

ynny said...

I remember in junior high, having just moved away from a street filled with aunts, uncles, and cousins, I teared up watching some particularly sweet episode of Friends, thinking, "I'll never have anyone who leans on me like that, who just wants to hang out with me all day and likes me for who I am!" I was so heartbroken.

And I reflected on that moment many times through five wonderful years of college, where I found SO many sweet, intelligent, hilarious neighbors in each of my wards. I found so many kindred spirits there, and keep in touch with them still, stalking their blogs from 2,000 miles away. Thank heavens for late answers to childhood wishes :)