Friday, February 24, 2012

And the beat goes on...

I know you've all been waiting to hear the results of my complaint fast. You are sitting on the edge of your seat. Chewing at the bit. Can hardly contain your excitement.

Well I'm here to relieve your anxiety: it was a total and complete failure.

And I'm completely fine with that. You know that quote by Emerson, "Once you make a decision the universe conspires to make it happen"? I have seen that many times in my life. However, I've also seen the universe conspire to make it really, really difficult to do whatever it was I decided. That universe is a fickle friend. This time I think the universe was trying to tell me to eat some ice cream and take a nap. So I listened.

But not before realizing something. I think there is a difference between a complaint and complaining. Or between acknowledging and dwelling. The former can lead to improvement or change while the latter usually just brings you down (as well as those around you). I was glad when one of my friends left a comment saying that she doesn't think of me as a complainer. Phew! At least I've successfully hid my complaining.

But the recognition that everything isn't perfect is completely healthy as long as it doesn't become a focus. (Or become whining. Complaining is one thing; whining is a completely different can of worms.) Spend some time complaining, but then spend more time fixing it. And don't be fooled into complacency by the oft-repeated, "It could be worse." Simply respond, "Yes, but it could also be better."   



image via here

According to George Bernard Shaw, I should be grateful that my days are busy as I try to make things better. And boy are they busy! 

Of course, if I happen to come across something that I simply can't change or that doesn't want my improvement, then I have found that eating some chocolate and taking a nap is a wonderful course of action.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Even though the "It could be worse" saying is trite, it does make me feel better when, after a long day of meetings and volunteering and being sick, I realize that life is okay only because I have not had a seizure, fallen into a coma, or had a kid with RSV like my three neighbors just did this week. Life is pretty good then. But yes, it could be better.

Amanda said...

This reminds me of something I read in my child development book lately (yes, still working on that one). It talked about the importance of social language development in children, and really just language in general, because language is how children can change how they feel about something. If they don't know how to disclose their feelings or express themselves, they can become frustrated because for children, language is the vehicle to change how they feel. They need to talk through things, basically, and I think we're often the same way.

I like what you said about the difference between acknowledging and dwelling; I think that's the main difference between the reality of living in this world and being a complainer.