Monday, October 3, 2011

the freakin' weekend

This last weekend was a good one. My parents came in town for General Conference and we got to go to the BYU football game. I'm glad we didn't give up on those cougars because that last touchdown was amazing. (Riley Nelson for QB1, anyone?) I had been complaining to Nate that even though we had won the weekend before, their football playing wasn't "beautiful." Luckily Nelson gave us some beautiful football with only 11 seconds left in the game.

We also got to enjoy General Conference from the comfort of our new couch (I really need to post about our new couch!) and from the car while enjoying the Alpine Loop. It seems like every year we miss the window of changing leaves in the Alpine Loop so it was nice to catch it this year.

What was your favorite part of Conference? I didn't have a stand out moment like I usually do, but it felt good to just listen. I am very excited about the new Provo temple. Talk about turning a negative into a positive. And I'm jealous that when Nate looks out the window every day at work it will be directly at the temple.

There was one conference quote in particular that I loved. I can't remember who said it so I'm looking forward to Thursday when the talks are published online. Anyway, I'm sure whoever said it won't mind not getting credit. He said (obviously I'm paraphrasing here), "Compared to God we are nothing, but to God we are everything." [Emphasis added to the quote that I pretty much made up.]

I thought that was such a insightful way to phrase that sentiment. I think it's a delicate balance between   "I'm less than the dust of the earth" and "the worth of a soul is great in the sight of God." In fact, sometimes I think the exact opposite of myself. I think to myself, God has so much going on that I'm pretty far down on the list. Yet,  I still remain completely consumed by thoughts about my own life and seem to forget there is an entire universe out there.

Somehow I'm OK knowing I don't quite measure up when compared with God. And even though I'm not all knowing, all powerful, or all perfect, He is still fully invested in me (and everyone else) as an individual. I think that's a good reminder we all need from time to time.

Those are some wise men. I feel very lucky to have their inspiration so abundantly twice a year. How do people survive without it? Unfortunately, I never seem to study the talks quite as well as I intend to.  Hopefully the next six months will be different. 

6 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

That last BYU game actually gave me some hope! We were fun to watch again! I am all for Riley being QB1, although it was so sad every time the camera panned to Jake watching from the sidelines. Sorry, Jake... Riley's better :)

lindsay b. said...

the miracle ending to the game reminded me of the old cougs' playing style! I lovedd it!

I like your insight to that talk! That is a great thought. I love reading the talks after and feeling really smart when making those sorts of connections :)

Margaret said...

I think it would be amazing if they kept that damaged picture from the fire and posted it in a prominent place at that Provo Temple. P.S. What will it be called? Provo Temple Part II? Provo Tabertemple? The mind boggles.

Amanda said...

I've also been wondering about what they'll call the new Provo temple. Maybe they'll find a mountain to name it after?

And I love what you said about that talk, M.C. It was a good reminder for me.

Brenda said...

I too love conference! I am very excited about the new temple.

Katie said...

Reading all your posts makes me wish we were next door neighbors. You are seriously such a fabulous individual and know we would have loads of fun being working-wives together. :) You have such a great perspective on things--I loved your take on the talk and how you truly personalized it.

I must admit though, that all this little statements in your recent posts about your house here and there are killing me because I don't get pictures! AH! But, I guess I understand and I guess I forgive you. Moral of the story, we really should be next door neighbors.