Wednesday, September 28, 2011

here's to finding a good man

Monday was our third anniversary. I know everyone says it, but I can't believe how fast time flies. Before we know it we'll be dancing the funky chicken at our 50th. 

We took the day off work and headed to Salt Lake/Park City to check out a few consignment shops I found online. This may seem like a strange way to celebrate, but it makes total sense for us. Nate and I spend a disproportionate amount of time discussing our house and how to decorate it. 

Random Tangent: We sold our couch recently and a few couples came to look at it. When each of the wives would ask their husbands what they thought, the husbands would say, "I don't care. Whatever you want." It was so strange. Nate is just as much involved (if not more) in all of our house designing. I could never buy a couch without his opinion.

So we found some fun new shops. We have been struggling with the fact that we purchase too many of our home furnishings from Ikea. The selection in Utah just feels so limited. (I so wish we had a West Elm.) But we did find some new places where we could make some future purchases so I think it was a successful day.

We did make one purchase:
Did you know that the traditional third anniversary gift is a ceramic elephant? Ya, I didn't either.

We want to incorporate more yellow into our house and this guy seemed like a surefire way to do that. Plus he makes me smile. I need more things in my house that just make me smile.

It was a fabulous day. We kept trying to take a photo of ourselves, but they all came out blurry. (Think The Ring.) Nate did get a video of me acting out an electronic hula girl lamp in the middle of a store. It's pretty classic. 

It's been a good year with lots of ups and downs (hopefully more ups). Nate is my BFF, my better half, my rock, and a lot of other cliches that would potentially embarrass him. Love you babe. Here's to a million more years together! 


7 comments:

Glo said...

I love it! Mitch has more opinions on home decor than I ever thought possible. Next time you are in Salt lake we should get together...i have lots of good consignment shops I like to go to!

Margaret said...

OK. So I totally believed you on the ceramic elephant and looked it up. It's leather! Who knew?

Also, this couple in my ward said they like to get together and think of how miserable they used to be when they were single so they can appreciate how great it is to be married. That's my new advice for third years, I guess.

Amanda said...

Have you checked out Home Again in Sugarhouse? I haven't been in, but it looks way cool from the outside and the window displays (not a very reliable recommendation, I know, but . . .).

lindsay b. said...

i get way too much decor from Ikea. There are no exits, forcing me to go through the entire store seeing things I want and need. Not good. I need to branch out. I think you have inspired me.

Happy anniversary!

Heather Lee said...

Hey HAPPY ANNI! I just so luv abrev's. SOOOO, before you buy vintage furniture. Let me share this terrible tale I've been dealing with all week. I bought a couple of knock your socks right off, nighstands. When I was googling for potential value, I was alerted of the potential "lead paint in vintage painted furniture" craze. And craze me it did. For I am crazy. I can't get it out of my mind. AFter about 4 home depot check for lead yourself swabs, I'm still not convinced one way or the other. I'm going tonight to a random guy named Clifton Jay Shiets so he can use his x-ray gun on these pretty puppies so I can either rest assured by my lead free nightstands, or return them to the pawn shop. NOt sure it's worth the worry, time, or hassle to buy vintage. Don't even begin researching lead exposure. And I only included his full name in case you don't hear from me, it was most likely Jay. Or the he/she at the pawn shop.

Heather Lee said...

oh, and how you feel about Nate's involvement with decor. That's how I feel about Steve's involvement with the wedding planning. I'm glad that the day reflected both of us. Now he can't say, "Heather was bridezilla and made me wear a pink tie." Wait, Nate didn't wear a pink tie did he? Pink is some guys' color. Salmon is more Steve's.

bec said...

I'm a couple days late, but Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been three years too, I remember being at your wedding reception and getting ideas for my reception. So crazy! I hope you guys have a great fourth year together!