Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Expecto Patronum

So we saw Harry Potter and loved it. Except for the epilogue. I try to not read the books any time close to when I see the movie because I have a terrible memory so it prevents me from saying, "Such and such part was better in the book." BUT I do remember really liking the epilogue in the book and I thought it was lame in the movie. (Also, I wish Harry and Ron had just kept their shirts on. That's all I'm going to say about that.)

Right as the movie started, I was thinking how cool J.K.Rowling must think this whole phenomenon she started is. I mean people line up for hours just to watch this world she created. It's probably really difficult for her to watch the movies, too. I'm sure it could never live up to her vision.

When I was sitting there waiting for the movie to start, I randomly remembered this really cool speech she gave at a Harvard commencement. I watched it several months ago and was inspired. I know I have several friends who are fans so I thought I would share. {It's kinda long, but I promise it's totally worth it.}


J.K. Rowling Speaks at Harvard Commencement from Harvard Magazine on Vimeo.


And when I looked up that link, I found another site I had bookmarked about her. Evidently this is how she organizes her writing. I love reading about how other writers actually write. The process is almost more fascinating to me than the actual product. Maybe that is why I am always writing and never publishing? Let's just go with that.

So what did you all think of Harry Potter 7.2? Did it live up to your expectations? Were you a little sad when the final credits rolled?

3 comments:

Amanda S. said...

We saw Harry Potter last night and I loved it, too. Watching the movies always makes me want to reread the books. In fact, I started rereading them. I too have a terrible memory (I can never remember plot details of books after I read them) so I totally don't have a problem disassociating the books from the movies. The books are still way better but the movies are really awesome in a different way.

I wondered about J.K Rowling's perception of the movies, especially as she was a producer for them. It must be weird for her. That chart you linked to is cool, and makes me realize how intense the world she created in these books is. I've always wondered how I would keep track of that sort of thing if I wrote novel-length fiction. I'm sure a lot of my details wouldn't match up. I'm so impressed that Rowling got so detailed and carried this through a fictional seven-year span. SO COOL.

I said to Tim as we were leaving the theater that there will never be anything like this Harry Potter thing again. I guess I don't feel too sad that it's over because the books and movies are going to stay around for me to enjoy again and again. And I'm always amazed at how captivating it can be every time I return to it.

Speaking of novels, this is a novel-length comment, and for that I apologize!!

Meg said...

I loved the movie! Now I need to read the books. I've read the first few books but haven't ever finished the rest.

Meg said...

you gotta watch the jk story on lifetime. can't wait to see the final movie. love u!