Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kiss Me, I'm Irish

I have to write something new! I am not really sure what to write, but it's time for a new post at the beginning of this blog.

First of all, thank you for all of the love and support. I can't tell you how much all of the cards, food, visits, phone calls, e-mails, and treats have meant to us. We have definitely felt all of your love and prayers. And, as a result, we are doing much better. Nate and I are so lucky to have so many wonderful people in our lives. This experience has made me recommit to really going out of my way to help those around me. It's silly, but I can't explain what even the smallest gestures meant. Just a text saying "I'm thinking about you" got me through some of the hardest days.

There are still moments where it seems to hit me with a wave of emotion, but for the most part I'm feeling good again. Life seems to have returned to normal, which I am grateful for. I know I shouldn't say this, but the weather seems to be improving. (No weather ever seems to last in Utah.) Spring is {hopefully} almost upon us. That has to be one of the best feelings in the world.

Speaking of spring, we have this one flower in our front yard that is insisting on blooming. It's the only one. It popped its little head up some time back in February. Every day as I would come and go, I would tell it, "Please go back down. It's not time for you to bloom just yet." But it insisted. Somehow it has managed to weather all of the snow and wind and cold temperatures. I guess I should be grateful it didn't listen to me because it's bright pink and it makes me happy every time I see it.

Before Nate went to work this morning, I hadn't had time to put on anything green -- so he left me with a pinch. Oh St. Patrick's Day! We had some corn beef, cabbage, and potatoes last week so tonight I decided to make green enchiladas, sweet onion rice, and green Kool-aid instead of the traditional meal. I haven't had Kool-aid in years, but it felt festive. Hopefully it's not as bad as I remember.

I also considered just serving Lucky Charms, but enchiladas sounded better. I don't know why I love the smaller holidays. Probably because there's no pressure. Serving Lucky Charms for St. Patrick's Day? Clever! Serving Lucky Charms for Christmas? Disgrace!

Of course, I think St. Patrick's Day is a lot better holiday when you are in high school. All the girls wear the pins that say "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" (even when they clearly aren't) and all the boys say you can't pinch them because their underwear is green. It's funny how behavior like that is totally acceptable in high school but is considered inappropriate everywhere else. Some days I think I still belong in high school.

I hope you all have a {*lucky*} St. Patrick's Day!

9 comments:

Joanna Galbraith said...

Haha, it's so funny to read a person's perspective that's so much different than my own! You are all excited about St. Patrick's Day, and I didn't even know it was today until like 11:00 this morning!

Your writing is so witty and fun to read! I always enjoy your posts.

Danny & Desirae Sommers said...

You are too cute! Thank you for being you and being such a beautiful person, not only on the outside, but inside too.

Ashley said...

haha. I forgot about people saying they were wearing green underwear. I also love Lucky Charms for breakfast, lunch and dinner on St. Patty's. Hope you have a fun day!

Margaret said...

I forgot about today until you sent me that virtual pinch this morning! You are so hilarious.

P.S. I think you've had too much of that harassment training, though you do make an excellent point about high school and the adult world. Just don't go touching my knee. ;)

Meg said...

I feel kinda like you are with us since Elle has taken to calling one of her barbie minis "IC." Love you

Heather Lee said...

Well I'm glad Holland's morning bowl of Luky Charms files under the clever tab. It was actually Steve who bought them for her the night before so I can't take credit. I don't buy them because all she eats are the marshmellows...mallows?
I also remember how Lucky Jeans say "Lucky You" when you unzip the zipper. I think I have one pair in hiding. I should have brought them out...
We're a little anxious for flowers over here, wish we had some persistent ones.

Peg said...

I thought of you guys on St. Patrick's Day. I remember how your mom always made green eggs and ham. I was also randomly thinking about going to all the Cedar grocery stores looking for Pez containers with you while everyone else was still in bed. Not on St. Patrick's Day but a fun memory for me. Love ya!

Hannah said...

Haha! Loved your post... and witty comments about the holiday. Clever with the green enchiladas! I was a lot less creative and just got Ryan and I mint shakes after lunch!
I love celebrating holidays too though!

Brenda said...

Cheers to green underwear!