Monday, February 14, 2011

be my valentine

I've had a difficult time getting into the Valentine's day spirit this year. I'm not sure what it is. I think I'm just tired of the cold (although it has been unseasonably sunny the last few days and I have found myself daydreaming about spring). So Saturday night I decided enough was enough and I was going to enjoy this holiday I love so much.

Nate and I made a trip to the store where we purchased all the fixings to make some festive cupcakes. Then yesterday afternoon we embarked on our cupcake baking/decorating. I was ready to give up when we realized I had forgotten cupcake wrappers, but Nate was creative and used wax paper (which I think ended up being even better than the traditional wrappers). I'm not sure if Nate would appreciate me telling the whole wide blog world this, but he is a FANTASTIC cupcake decorator. I mean he has some real talent. Those puppies looked better than Sprinkles or whatever the trendy cupcake shop is these days.

Of course, the candy hearts we bought left something to be desired. I nearly broke a tooth on one. After I found one that said, "Page Me" we decided they had to be at least 10 years old. Bleh!

It definitely made up for my whole lack of Valentine's day spirit lately. Now we just need to decide how we are going to celebrate tonight. Nate and I have been gchatting and we can't decide if we are in the mood for an evening in or a night out on the town (I use the expression "night out on the town" loosely considering we do live in Provo). I have always wanted to continue my mom's tradition of a fun Valentine's dinner at home, but during the winter I will take advantage of any opportunity to get out of the house.

I'll have to let you all know what we decide later. But for now, I hope you all have a lovely holiday!

xoxo, M.C.


p.s. If you find that you have been slow in getting ready for the holiday, you should go here. Normally I am not a huge fan of e-cards, but the fabulous Kate Spade has made some seriously adorable Valentines. You won't be disappointed.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Ha! "Page Me" - that is a crack-up! We're 'staying in' and having quiche and salad for dinner.

Ashley said...

What?? You?? You always have the best Valentines Day posts! Hope it is fun today whatever you do!

Meg said...

"Page Me" is amazing. It probably also had one that said "I made u a mixed tape." Haha. Love your faces:)

Heather Lee said...

vintage candy hearts. I hear they're so in right now.
You are hilarious. Whatever you did, I know you had a ball.
Steve and I ACTUALLY hired a BABYSITTER and had a DATE. It's so weird, but it was amazing. Without getting too explicit.
We strolled the mall, went into all of the un-kid-friendly stores...and ate at the Cheesecake Factory. A dream come true. The good kind of dreams.
M.C. page me.

Amanda Nemelka said...

We need pictures of these cupcakes, you know!!

Margaret said...

I just saw this cool thing and thought of you: http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/02/heart-cake-tutorial.html

I wouldn't be surprised if you and Nate made this. It has engineering and artsy fartsy-ness written all over it, which reminds me of you guys. :)