Tuesday, January 18, 2011

documented: the sartorialist

I have this obsession with documentaries. Everything from political stuff to True Hollywood Stories. I find them fascinating. I know they are usually biased, but I still feel like I'm learning and it makes me feel smart (even if it is about Tori Spelling).

This documentary on the Sartorialist is so awesome. I have wondered about his process as an artist. I always love seeing how other people view the world. It's intriguing how a photographer views the world through a lens, a painter through a canvas and brush, a writer through words, a chef through a dish, a musician through notes. It's even more fascinating how they are all able to share their perspective with the world.

In this documentary, the Sartorialist (Scott Schuman) brings up the fear that many people have that the internet is causing the world to be too homogenized. He dismisses that fear saying, "It [blogs] has given us what I like to a call a digital park bench.” I thought that was such a fabulous way of saying it. (I generally think of it as a digital couch since that is where I am usually viewing blogs from; his version is much more poetic.) Art has always afforded us the opportunity to learn about other parts of the world, yet now it is available for free in such massive quantities. We truly are surrounded by so much inspiration and creativity.

And now, for your viewing pleasure . . . 


1 comment:

Brenda said...

Very cool - thanks!