Monday, November 15, 2010

You make me feel like I'm living a teenage dream

{Don't judge that I love this song. Maybe my most-played genre on my ipod is "tween." Lots of Taylor and lots of Miley. I never claimed to have good taste in music.}

This weekend I realized that the level of happiness in our marriage is strongly correlated with the success of BYU football and the Jazz. Both of them have been doing really well lately, so things at our house have been pretty good. All I can say is "Keep it up, boys."

This is the point where I am supposed to apologize and then offer my excuses for not blogging. The truth is, I don't have any. I have been writing A LOT, but it's all been in my personal journal. It's way more fun when I can include names and details without worrying about privacy or others' reactions. I don't really care what others think; I just don't need every detail or bad day recorded for the world to see. So if you want those details, you'll have to break into my house and read my diary ... or wait until my memoirs are published one day. It's going to happen.

Somehow winter is here again, even though he knows he wasn't invited. As much as I hate the cold months, I find that every year I adapt to it a little better. Sometimes I like the way my life is controlled by the seasons. The whole "to everything there is a season" theory never made much sense to me growing up in California. However, here in Utah I understand how I'll put certain projects on my to-do list for specific months of the year. In the summer you feel almost guilty sitting inside reading, but during the winter it feels completely acceptable.

This is true with food, too. I love how my body naturally craves specific food according to the time of year--I've been really enjoying cooking for the fall months. We've tried at least one new soup a week. I've never been a huge soup fan, but I have found some amazing (and simple) recipes. Of course, my sweet tooth also seems to be stronger during the colder months,too.

Speaking of fall and a sweet tooth, we had a great Halloween. It was our first year getting to hand out candy and it was pretty fun -- until the last teenage girl showed up on our doorstep (not dressed in a costume), said "Hello," and stuck out her hand. At that point, I turned off the lights and called it good. Oh, and every person that came to our door commented on Nate's pumpkin. He's kinda amazing. See for yourself:

Besides cooking, we've been watching Friday Night Lights. Have you seen this show? It's awesome. I love all of the characters and, although it has taken Nate a long time to convince me, I am starting to love football. I may even let our sons play one day. (I've only ever wanted to prevent it out of fear for their safety.) Anyways, this show is fabulous. I'm sick of a lot of the junk on tv these days, and Friday Night Lights is not without junk, BUT there are several characters in the show who are actually trying to do what's right--genius! haha I love the show so much that I keep asking Nate if he thinks he could change career paths and become a football coach. He says that he can't because he never actually played football -- details, details. I would make such a fabulous coach's wife...

Here I am talking about football again, which means I've come full circle. Have a great Monday. Enjoy this post. Savor it. Who knows when it will happen again ;)

10 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Cue savoring. Happening now . . .

That pumpkin is amazing.

Why is winter masculine?

Katie said...

just about passed out when i saw your blog show up on my blog list. :) Glad to hear you two are alive and well!

Meredith said...

Do you know how badly I want to know what you write in your journal? It's my feelings you don't want to hurt, huh? Maybe I should be nice to you. :)

Passelly said...

So glad you are back blogging! We are on season 4 of Friday Night Lights and absolutely loving it!

Margaret said...

Glad to have you back. I missed reading your thoughts. Every time I see an onion now, I think of your older post. You will need to write a new vegetable article to change my produce list around. :)

Brenda said...

So nice to have you back in the blogging world - I just may break into your house and check out that diary one day...(details!)

Heather Lee said...

ok. A few things.
Am I the only person you alert via text message that you've posted? I hope so. It would make me special. Notice I left out feel. It would actually MAKE me special.

While I don't think I have ever, in my entire life (27 full Holloween's in my 26 years) seen a carved pumpkin executed to such perfection! I know there are contests, and if Nate doesn't enter next year I swear I'll come steal it off of your porch and put my name on it...because his pumpkins belong in the contest. But on that same note, am I dumb to not know who the face is? W.T.F. Why the face?

I'm glad, for now, your marriage is holding up. You never can count on that Boozer though. It's just in his name to be a failure. So let me suggest building your marital foundation on a Rock.

The plan, next girls night, we will bring our diaries and swap. You will just love reading about my sophomore year of high school (the last time I wrote in that thing) and how every two steps me and my *then boyfriend would kiss.

And what else...I personally love all the filth on T.V. is it bad that I have to put Holland in bed before I catch up on my favorite shows? Why am I so addicted to The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? That says a lot about me, I know.

And I'll admit. I was hoping this post would be announcing a growing bean in your belly. Next time I suppose. Because really that's possible. I mean you plan on having a baby whithin the next 5 years or so right? That's about how long it takes you to post.

OH also, I cook 1 soup a NIGHT! hahaha. So far we have had, Butternut Squash, Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice, Cream of Brocolli, Baked Potato, Chili...loved the Butternut Squash...gotta try that one my dear.

I better see you in minus ONE MONTH! Hallelujah.
(I don't even want to know how many words I spelled incorrectly in this post...put your red pen down!)

Danny & Desirae Sommers said...

Thank you so much for coming out to see the girls dance. The performance in Salt Lake was so much better, but thank you so much for being their idol. You and Nate are two amazingly wonderful people. Love you!

Meg said...

That is a sweet pumpkin! I need to take a few pointers from you guys next year in carving pumpkins (if we ever get around to it). I have to admit, I love reading your posts. You have such a nice writing style.

I thought your comment was so funny because I wouldn't have ever of thought that you copied me. I was doing the same thing one night because I was getting bored with my blog and wanted to change things up. We must think alike! :)Your blog looks great by the way. How did you change the color of the blog post title? I should try and fiddle around with it some more. Eventually, I'll figure it out.

Anyways, hope you and Nate are doing well!

Sarah C. said...

Friday Night Lights is all about Tim Riggins. He is sexy as hell. You can quote me on that. To anyone (and everyone).