Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Onions really do have layers... who knew?

Okay so lately I have been trying to cook even healthier than normal. I'm not so much a calorie counter (though I probably should be) as a five-a-day enforcer. I try really hard to build all of our meals around fresh fruits and vegetables. I love tomatoes, strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas, mangoes, carrots, celery, broccoli, artichokes, spinach, etc. Even if blueberries cost an arm and a leg, I usually buy them because I have read article after article of how good they are for you. However, up until now I had no idea that onions are so good for you. In fact, I thought they were mostly for added flavor and left them out of a lot of things to prevent bad breath. I mean I would cook with them because that usually lessens their potency, but I left them out of most dishes in their raw form. Well maybe I'm just going to have to buy myself some breath mints because did you know that onions:

Are
anti-inflammatory and help to reduce inflammation of upper respiratory congestion, asthma, and arthritis
Contain quercitin that works with vitamin C to kill harmful bacteria, translation: fewer and less severe infections
Conta
in tryptophan to help us sleep better and elevate mood
Lower
blood sugar, cholesterol, and high blood pressure
R
educe the risk of developing colon cancer and 8 other cancer types
[info thanks to Good (&CHEAP) Eats]

Seriously, who knew? All of that and they are significantly cheaper than blueberries. Go onions.

1 comment: