Monday, May 17, 2010

I got an e-mail from my mom today with this quote:


“I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.” ― Anna Quindlin

We were a little obsessed with reading in our family growing up. I remember all of us filling our suitcases with books when we would go on vacations and spending rainy days in bookstores or libraries. Every room in our home was filled with books. This is why I have such a hard time with the Kindle. I completely understand it's convenience, but I think if my parents had read Kindles growing up, I wouldn't be a reader now. Well maybe that's a lie. After all, my mom was a first-grade teacher so she read with us while we were still in our cribs. She stressed not just reading but a love of reading throughout all of my growing up years. However, frequently I read simply because there were books everywhere in our home. When I would get bored, I would pick up whatever my parents had left lying around. That is how I ended up reading Jane Eyre in the fourth grade (and understood hardly any of it). I would read my dad's books on computer programming or church history to procrastinate doing my homework and I would read the mystery novels my mom left on the backseat of our car while she ran errands. My parents didn't have pretty books -- they had books that were loved and read. We didn't have a beautiful library -- I lost count of how many bookshelves we ended up buying at Ikea. But the point is that we read a lot.

The other day Nate came home and looked at our kitchen table. There sat the 23 books I currently have checked out from the library. He said that someone probably went to check out a book and the librarian had to explain that I had all of them. Ha ha. (I'm not sure if Nate even knows about the hundreds of books I collected growing up that are waiting patiently in my bedroom closet in California.)

So mom, in response to your quote,
“I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves,” I think you can be content.

5 comments:

Jeff & Alisha said...

I am so with you on that. :) Luckily, Jeff is too.

Brenda said...

I too love books and reading. Stacy doesn't quite get it. We went to the library one day and I just love the smell, and he said, "it stinks in here, like old books or something".

Katie said...

I am seriously jealous of this. I wish that i read more. I enjoy reading when i take the time to do it, but i rarely take the time. Any suggestions for a good book to fill my 2 daily 15 min breaks at work. Maybe that is a good place for me to start. :) seriously though--I would love a few suggestions.

Danny & Desirae Sommers said...

I have a hard time with the kindle too. I feel a books are much more likely to be read if you can see them and hold them, after all, it is hard for everyone to sit on the back deck sharing a kindle.

We love to all sit and read together. Some of my favorite memories are sitting on my grandma's front porch reading and sipping lemonade, or a pop.

Danny & Desirae Sommers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.