Monday, December 7, 2009

Dish Breaking

So a few weeks ago I was loading the dishwasher and I broke a glass. This is the third glass I have broken since we got married. Of course I never break our back-up, cheap Wal-Mart glasses. Nope. I always have to go and break my nice Crate and Barrel ones.

When Nate got home from work, I told him I had another glass to add to the tally. He laughed and said, "That's three for you and none for me." I felt dumb because he was right.

Then a few days later I was unloading the dishwasher and it hit me. The reason I had broken three glasses and he hadn't broken any was because he never does the dishes! I'm sure if he washed as many dishes as me, he would've broken several by now. I shared my epitome with Nate and he said, "I was hoping you wouldn't realize that."

(By the way, it doesn't bother me that he doesn't do the dishes; it's our little arrangement. He hates cleaning the kitchen and I hate cleaning the bathroom so we tend to stick to our choice of the lesser-of-two evils; Nate cleans a mean bathtub.)

Anyways, since I had my little realization I haven't really been able to stop thinking about it. It's one of those dumb everyday thoughts that somehow brings clarity to some other aspect of your life. Like our current state of homelessness.

I'm really not sure what to think of the whole house situation. People keep asking me questions and I don't really know what to tell them. It's pretty much just a waiting game and your guess as to the outcome is as good as mine. I was talking to a friend about it the other day and this other girl was sitting near us listening. As I finished explaining the whole story, this other girl looked at me and said, "Doesn't it completely suck that nothing you wanted has worked out?" It took me a moment to respond because 1. I have gone WAY out of my way to help this girl out and I was shocked by her complete lack of manners, and 2. that isn't how I feel at all. I ended up ignoring her comment. Sometimes rudeness deserves rudeness. :)

The truth is, nothing in my life has ever worked out the way I originally thought it would. And I'm glad because it has always worked out better. Even recently I have had experiences where I know that there's something bigger ahead than just a house or a job.

And by the way, things are working out pretty well for Nate and me. We have awesome jobs, really supportive parents, too many friends, a great marriage, and we are SERIOUSLY SO BLESSED ;) haha

But it's true. Nate and I are lucky ducks.

When we moved out of our first apartment last week, I cried and cried. I loved that place. I loved that it is where we came home after our honeymoon. Where we had our first meals and first fights as newlyweds. Where we were when we got offered our first "real" post-college jobs. Where we barbecued on a mini camp stove. Where we watched millions of movies as we counted down every cold, cold day of winter. It was a good place.

One late Sunday night, in that very apartment, Nate and I were listening to Pandora. We were trying desperately to enjoy those last few moments of our weekend when a favorite song of mine came on the radio. I jumped up and started dancing all over the living room. Nate half-heartedly joined me, but that didn't stop my enthusiasm. As the song ended, another one came on. A slower song. I grabbed Nate, right there in our tiny living room, and we danced. Nothing in this world is more romantic to me than dancing.

Maybe we'll get this house. Maybe we'll get another house. Maybe we'll get an RV... or maybe we won't. I just hope we always dance in our living room.

And just fyi, Nate broke a glass in the move. There's hope for me yet... but not for our glasses :(

3 comments:

Amanda S. said...

This is completely unrelated, but I felt like I had one of those "Aha" moments that you're talking about when someone told me that they don't like driving big cars. Then I thought, "Gee, I think that's part of the reason I hate driving now that we drive a minivan!"

Aha.

iyouandme said...

I break cups all the time too. Even Dean's pretty plastic one!

Kaela Cusack said...

i love your attitude :) we've broken several glasses as well...they just don't make them like they use to! and Cason chips our dishes. it will all work out!!!