Wednesday, November 11, 2009

these are my confessions

So I'm back from my hiatus. I think I just needed a break from blogging. It had gone from something I loved to do, to something I felt I had to do. I think the hard part is that for me blogging is all about creativity. I find writing relaxing and I love to express myself. Lately I have seen so many bloggers become "copycats." I will read one blog, and then the next day someone has completely copied that same blog. I will read a post and think it is so creative, and then realize that the writer just took it from another source without citing the source. Maybe it's my English and publishing background, but for me this is a big no-no. At first Nate tried to convince me it was just coincidence, but I've seen it happen so many times that I don't think it possibly could be. I understand being inspired, but copying others' ideas is the exact opposite of what blogging is about. It should be about individualism and creativity. What is the point of posting something that someone else already did? I can't imagine getting any personal fulfillment out of that. Creativity is a really important part of my life. In fact, it was really important to me that I married someone creative. Nate and I see things SO differently. I think this would drive a lot of people nuts, but I love it. It forces me to constantly look at the way I view things and try to see it from a different perspective. Our differing views lead to many heated discussions, but they also always lead to better end results. Luckily, we both value each others' opinions. Just this last week I decided to make pillows for my couch. Finding a couch has been a rather lengthy process for me. Every where I went had the two exact same couches: either dark brown leather or puffy microfiber. At first I thought these would be my two options. However, after searching and searching, I told Nate one night that I had to have a tuxedo couch. And I found one. On craigslist. It's awesome. Old, but awesome. So back to the pillow making. My friends Stephanie and Melissa decided we all needed to make some new pillows. I was really excited because although I have sewn quite a few projects in my life, pillows have never made the cut. After wandering around the fabric store (with Nate's help), I finally found the perfect fabric. I was so excited about it. The best part? When I showed it to my friend's later, they said "That is SO you." I love that I have a style all my own. I'm definitely influenced by everything around me, but I love that I am not afraid to try something random. Sometimes it doesn't work out that well, but oftentimes it's way better than anything you could ever get from a Pottery Barn catalog. {Like how my husband has a skate poster from an ex-girlfriend hanging over his side of the bed. I've had many girls' jaws drop as they have seen our bedroom and asked, "You let him hang that there?" "Yes. And I get to hang Audrey Hepburn on my side. Thank you very much." Turns out it is probably my favorite decoration of our entire apartment.} That isn't to say that my pillow-making enterprise was without frustration. After making two, they weren't turning out exactly as I had planned. I put them down nicely and still haven't quite finished them. But the truth is, that is all part of the creativity process. I'm mulling it over. Like how I have been trying to write a paper for weeks now and am struggling with some serious writer's block. Yet every few days I wake up at 4 am with the exact sentence and wording I need. It would be nice to have those pillows done NOW, but it's a process. I think when people copy, they miss out on the process. It's all about the finished product to them and life is not about the finished product. Nate and I are about to embark on a very creative endeavor. I have to keep reminding myself "It's not about the finished product. It's not about the finished product." I love this video by Elder Uchtdorf. I'm sure most of you have seen it by now, but I think it is such a cool message from the Church. I love that he explains that we don't have to use a pen or a paint brush to be creative. I once dated a guy who was studying industrial design. His teacher had told him that as a designer, everything he touched should have a part of him in it. I think that is such an awesome way to live life. There are so many areas of our life we can "design." My friend Lindsey is currently working on her Masters in art history (correct me if I'm wrong, Lindsey). She writes really fun blog posts, and I think her latest one (here) was what finally convinced me to jump back into the world of blogging. I'm still trying to come up with my interpretation, but I think it is such a great idea. Another creative individual I know is Nate's uncle Danny. He has started making longboards and they are so amazing. If I were a little more talented on a board, I know I would buy one. His business and blog, Recession Boards, feature one-of-a-kind longboards with original artwork. There are creative people all over. They should inspire us. Not to copy their ideas, but to come up with ideas of our own. Trust yourself. You are more creative and talented than you could possibly imagine. In other words: Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handomse, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. --Marianne Williamson And with that, I officially return to the land of blogging. Feels nice to be back. xoxo, M.C.

6 comments:

David and Shalynna said...

Welcome back. I love that quote. I forget where I first heard it, but I absolutely love it. Actually, maybe it was Freshman year. Did Sister Greenhalgh share that? :)

I'm probably one of those copiers you are talking about. I hate to copy people, but I feel like I can never come up with things on my own. David says I am "inspired" by others and that everyone copies someone in some degree or another, but he might just say that to make me feel better. So, sorry for being a copy cat!

Kristin said...

Hey M.C.! I don't think I've read your blog before, I love it! You're so readable. I especially love your focus on the process. I'm trying to expand that to my whole life, I can be such a perfectionist and it's important to remember that it doesn't matter what mistakes you make as long as you learn from them and move forward. The point isn't to live a perfect life but to become perfect, eventually.

Also, couches. We have this really awful hand-me-down in the living room while I look for a cute, cheap one, and you're so right about the choices. Not a fan of microfiber, it reminds me of every Belmont/Arlington apartment in Provo. But I do have perfect fabric for pillows! Which will help for now. Can't wait to see yours! When you finish your process. :)

Danny & Desirae Sommers said...

Fine!! I am a poser. Well, we can't have two creative people in my house. LOL Did you see my diaper cake? OH yeah, I did it by myself, well Danny had to help me hold it together until I tied it, but I created it.

Hunter Family said...

Love that talk by Pres. Uchtdorf - I TiVo'd it and watched it while quilting, so it's a favorite! If you need help with your pillows, let me know.

Hunter Family said...

This is me - Brenda, Brooke was signed in on my computer.

ynny said...

Good post, MC! And thanks for the shout-out :) Yep, I'm getting my master's in art history. Fun, and SUPER hard. And I love the detail about what's hanging above your guys' bed; so you, and such a good example of matrimonial fun and maturity :)

Tell your uncle his boards are fantastic!!! If I ever get back in the market for one (I have always loved the one I have), I'm coming to him! Have a great week!