Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A place to hang your hat

The end of our lease is coming up in November. And since we are both finished with school, we are considering moving somewhere a little more permanent. We have spent many hours driving around neighborhoods trying to decide what we like and we have definitely found a few areas where we could see ourselves "putting down some roots."

So last night Nate setup a few appointments for us to go look at houses. It's fun having a husband who is a real estate agent because we get to go walk around houses without having a random person there. Mostly because I feel free to make fun of people's decorations.

Now I am a very practical person. Like extremely. It drives my mom and sister a little mad sometimes (sometimes= entire time we were trying to plan our wedding). So I thought I would be really practical about buying a house. I have watched quite a few individuals our age make REALLY dumb emotional decisions when it comes to purchasing a home. And I was so going to be different.

Until last night. I walk into the houses and all I can think about is how perfect the deck would be for throwing a fabulous dinner party with twinkle lights and Regina Spektor playing in the background. Or how a Christmas tree would look gorgeous in the bay window. Or how the kitchen would be perfect for making a big pancake breakfast on Conference weekend. I completely ignore the fact that the driveway would be madness after a snowstorm or that the tiny closet would cause a catastrophe each morning as I attempted to get ready for the day.

And then I walked into one house and I said something that not even I could have expected. It was a two bedroom, with the master in the back of the house and another small room in the front. I said to Nate, "I couldn't have my baby in the front of the house, especially this far from our bedroom." Ummm, excuse me? What baby? Last time I checked we don't have a baby. Maybe they are handing out children along with all of those new homebuyer government incentives as well. I'm so unpredictable I surprise myself sometimes.

Anyways, as I've thought about the house situation today, I've decided maybe I'm not being so impractical after all. Maybe all of those experience are what really make a home. When I think back on my house growing up, I remember the dinner parties my mom threw. And I remember how beautiful our Christmas tree looked from the front window. And I loved pancake breakfasts on Conference weekend. And as for that small closet? Maybe I can turn that extra room into a fabulous walk-in closet. Well at least until we need a nursery...

7 comments:

Danny & Desirae Sommers said...

I think when buying a house the most important thing to do is think of the future. In the future there will be kids, and when that happens, there is never enough room. There stuff is EVERYWHERE! I am excited for you two and hope you find that special place that whispers...Home.

Brenda said...

Hee Hee, you are so funny - good luck! (I don't know how "practical" twinkle lights are)

trudy...{and jamo} said...

you are sooooooooooo cute.
i love every word you just wrote!

Meg said...

don't worry about baby sommers... i'll get you a video monitor... i want to come to a party with twinkle lights and regina spektor. you didn't drive me crazy during the entire wedding planning... i thought it was the other way around:>

Meg said...

Hi, Mom here writing under Meg's user name. You are the bestcombination of practical and creative. I love your decorating ideas and have used many of them. Can't wait to see what you'll do in the future. Wherever you live it will have your special touch, (just like your wedding did).

David and Shalynna said...

I have a feeling you are going to get pregnant very soon! Yay! :)

Buy a house near my parents' place so that we can see each other everyday. When do you want to get together? I needto get together with you- I miss seeing you around campus. Can you believe I am spending my days there again?

Jeff said...

"I have watched quite a few individuals our age make REALLY dumb emotional decisions ..."

That hurt!