Thursday, July 23, 2009

there's another Nate...

Before I met Nate, there was another man in my life. His name was also Nate. At the time I thought it was unfortunate that he didn't like girls. I'm much happier with Nate Sommers than I ever could have been with Nate Berkus, but... that still doesn't stop me from daydreaming of a phone call from the Berkus himself, saying that I have been selected to have him come re-do our apartment. I get excited and then a little sad that his talent will be wasted on such a small space (yes my daydreams are very vivid and realistic).

He's amazing. I seriously don't think there is another designer or decorator that I have ever loved as much. I love how he incorporates people's lives and dreams and personalities into their homes. So many other designers' work comes off flat and boring or artificial. I like that he understands that people actually LIVE in their homes and don't just sit around staring at all of the pretty decorations. For a while everything he did was pretty high-end. However, recently he has done a few economic makeovers (we're talking under $500) and his work hasn't been affected in the least.


I love his book Home Rules. It is my bible when it comes to decorating (not that I have done a ton of it). It's all about the idea that we each deserve to love the place where we live and spend our time. I read and re-read it frequently. It makes me happy to think about one day creating a home that isn't about the latest trends or about spending a lot of money, but rather about creating a place that will be fun to hangout with my husband (and eventually kids), a place where others will want to spend time, and a place that will be an expression of me and my family.

And maybe one day he'll call...

2 comments:

randy n michele said...

I first saw Nate on Oprah and I love what he does... I hope you here from him too...

Deanna said...

I love Nate Berkus too. I have similar dreams sometimes.