Saturday, July 4, 2009

let freedom ring

Hello from sunny California! Nate and I are down here with my parents celebrating the 4th of July the way it was meant to be celebrated: in the pool/at the beach! It's so wonderful down here. Even though I said in my last post that I wish I were British, I sure am glad to be American. I found this quote from Glenn Beck a little while ago and loved it. A reporter had claimed that we don't have much to celebrate because of everything that is wrong with our country these days. This was Beck's reply:

... just because I had fun with friends and family doesn't mean that I believe America is perfect. It just means that, for one day, I chose to celebrate the fact that America is still closer to perfect than any other country in the history of the world.
For 364 days a year we talk about high gas prices, crooked politicians, and how much people from one political party allegedly hate everyone from the other. But for 24 hours we get to put it all aside and marvel at how a few brave men risked their lives to stand up for what they believed in. Of course, I would prefer we celebrate that every day, but for now ... I'll take the one.

I hope all of you are having a wonderful 4th of July with friends, family, and someone special to cuddle up with and watch the fireworks!

No comments: