Monday, July 27, 2009

it's not just hype

When I went back to visit my sister a few weeks ago, she let me borrow her Tweezerman tweezers (because of course I wasn't allowed to bring my tweezers back on the plane). She has always talked about how amazing these tweezers are and she was right. Lucky for me, a week later I received a package from her with a pair of these pink little beauties. Megan told me that she bought me "the last tweezers I will ever own." I am now a Tweezerman convert.

Normally I am a storebrand type of girl. I actually think the Kroger peanut butter tastes better than Skippy or Jiff. However, my new tweezers started me thinking about things that I am willing to spend a little bit more on-- MAC eye shadow, Eggo syrup, Hotel Collection sheets, Thomas O'Brien towels, Gillette razors (for Nate), skirts from Banana Republic, UGG boots, etc. It just seems that in some cases the name brand item is actually significantly better. I always try to catch these items on sale when I can, but I just hate it when I have to settle for something else.

So my question is, what items will you absolutely not substitute lesser quality for? A brand of jeans? hair product? cleaning supplies? a food item? Even when you're pinching pennies, what do you choose to splurge on?

12 comments:

trudy...{and jamo} said...

i love jeans! My favorite right this moment are Hudson jeans. they are so comfy!

i'm going to have to get myself a pair of those tweezers! they look amazing!

Ashley said...

You cannot buy a generic brand of Oreo's. I am feeling sick just thinking of it. You HAVE to buy the real thing.

Also, Nordstrom Anniversary sale..could I get clothes for cheaper...yes but when that sale comes around it is worth some extra cash.

Michelle said...

Nordstrom mango smoothie (with whip cream). Total ripoff at $5 a pop...but totally worth it. I can't go to the mall without getting one.

Passelly said...

I refuse to use a cheap hair straightener or blow dryer. Cheap ones can be so damaging to your hair, its just not worth it.

Brenda said...

Okay, I'm officially "old" - it's quilt fabric - no Joann's special for me - only top of the line, beautiful feeling quality cotton! I love the tweezerman tweezers too - my guys know they're not allowed to touch 'em!

iyouandme said...

I'm glad we can agree on the towels. Thomas O'brien's are the best. Lancome's liquid eye liner. Cheese. I need good cheese. And pasta sauce. (No I don't make my own.)

Kaela Cusack said...

macaroni and cheese. it's gotta be craft.

Rachel DeFreese said...

Hair products! I will never use off-brand hair products!

Jessica said...

hair straighteners. Oh and i agree with the M.A.C. makeup(not just eye shadow for me!)

Scott said...

so glad you like the tweezers! I think food is what I'm willing to splurge on... organic, healthy stuff.

Scott said...

whoops.. I'm on scott's account

Hunter Family said...

Toothpaste. Need I say more?