Tuesday, July 21, 2009

book report: the Secret Life of Bees


The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd


The movie was good, but the book was a-mazing. I just finished last night and I seriously could not put it down. It's a timeless, coming-of-age novel, yet Sue Monk Kidd does an amazing job at keeping it fresh and exciting. Her imagery of the South and the complexity of the characters makes everything come alive. And to top it off, there aren't any vampires (sorry I couldn't resist).

Sometimes I go to Barnes and Noble and look at all the new releases and wonder what people will read in the future to study the literature of today. I sincerely hope this book makes it on future reading lists. If you get a chance, pick it up. I read a good portion of it at Seven Peaks-- with tears streaming down my face. haha. It's not a hard read, but Kidd does everything right. This book has definitely earned a spot in my library (which is harder than you might think).

5 comments:

randy n michele said...

Thanks for the book tip. Victoria and I are always looking for good books to read

Meg said...

But you didn't like The Mermaid Chair? I don't think I'll be reading any books that don't involve getting babies to sleep or nursing basics for the next while.

Meg said...

Hey thanks for the tip on the salmon! I never thought to get it at Costco, but I'll do that next time we cook it. Love that place. I've been meaning to see this movie too but haven't seen it yet but maybe I should read the book first. Thanks for the review!

Brenda said...

I totally understand about it being hard to get into your library! I have limited space also and I have very few books that I will read over again (on purpose anyway!)

Deanna said...

This is also one of my favorites. I had a hard time loving the movie, because the book was so great.