Thursday, April 30, 2009

under an old brass paper weight

a list of things to do today ...

Are you a to-do list maker? I'm not! If I make a list and look at it, I just get overwhelmed and give up. Not quite the results one hopes for...

My mom and sister are dedicated list makers. My mom has a notebook she takes everywhere. Each day she makes a list and diligently checks off all of her tasks. If she doesn't finish something, she moves it to the next day's list. My sister, well her list is much more complicated. Each evening before she goes to bed she makes a list with different sections: things to do, things to follow up on, people to call, and so on.

When I got engaged, my mom sent me a notebook that said "To do, To do, Before I say 'I do'" It was adorable! I loved the way it looked sitting on my desk. I think I only used one or two pages. Luckily, every day when I checked my e-mail, my sister would have made a to do list for me. haha I don't think September 26, 2008 would've happened without Miss Megan.

I'm not sure that I'm ready for an official notebook, but I'm thinking I need to start making lists. Nate thinks I have early alzheimers (I seriously can't remember lengthy conversations 24 hours later-- it's strange) so I think my mind could definitely benefit from a list. In the past, I have tended to write things down on post-it notes and the back of envelopes, but that is about as successful as not having a list. I need a way to keep track of events, things to do, grocery lists, and dinner menus. Do any of you creative, organized people out there have any ideas that have worked particularly well for you?

5 comments:

Meg said...

As far as grocery lists go, I have a dry erase board on my fridge that I use to list the things I need to get at the grocery store. I then transfer it to paper when I actually go to the store so I remember what I need to get. As far as everything else goes, I'm a sticky note person too.

Brenda said...

I love my dry erase board (on the fridge) for the week's menus. Also on the fridge, a magnetized shopping list pad - I can add things to it, so can the fam. I just tear off a sheet and go.

Jeff & Alisha said...

I keep everything written down in a daily planner (mostly cause I still have homework, but it's good for appointments and errands too) and then I add sticky notes to those pages of things to get at the store, things that need to be cleaned, etc.

Passelly said...

I have a monthly planner. Not one of those thick mom ones but a simple one. Each page is a monthly calendar, there is a few lines under each day so you can write down appointments, or things to remember for that day. I love it, it helps me keep track of bills paid, doctor appointments,work meetings, sick days i've taken etc. It also has a small "notes" section at the bottom of each page that I use for grocery lists or dinner ideas. I dont think I would make it to any appointment without it.

ynny said...

I can't stand planners and I lose notebooks faster than I buy them.

My saving grace: There are these lined, HUGE post-it notes (well, about 4 inches by 6 inches) that come in packs of three- they're the perfect size for lists. I make grocery lists I can stick to the handle of my cart, I make to-do lists I stick to the mirror, and I always remember where the post-it pads are because they're so cute and colorful.