Monday, April 6, 2009

nothing is certain except death and taxes...

It's funny how when you're little you have a different perspective on things. When I was younger, I honestly believed that tax day was a holiday. Let me explain. My dad never filed his taxes until April 15 at like midnight. In fact, he never really filed his taxes then, either. He was merely sending in an extension. (He owns his own company so his taxes are admittedly very complicated). However, every year on tax day I would get to stay up late because my parents and I would drive to some remote post office that was open late so that people could get their returns postmarked by April 15. We would usually stop for a treat afterward. I thought it was a lovely tradition. The irony of the entire situation is that my dad graduated in accounting from BYU. haha

So I was shocked when I went away to school and I found out that people file their taxes well in advance. Seriously? Well unfortunately I am not one of those people. This year has been especially daunting. With getting married, three W-2s, self-employment for each of us, and being students, there is a lot to filing our taxes. We looked into paying someone to do it for us, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay someone else, especially when this is the first year I actually OWE taxes instead of just filing a for a refund. Oh the joy of self-employment!

So tonight I sat down with the IRS website and many forms. In fact, I had to fill out NINE separate forms. However, I finished it! I am pretty proud of myself. I tried that Turbo Tax program, but doing it myself meant lowering our taxes by half. Wow. And with nine days to spare.

Don't worry... Nate and I are headed out for ice cream right now. Some traditions are just too fun to break!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Good for you! (I haven't tackled our taxes by myself for YEARS!)

iyouandme said...

Ummm...oh yeah...taxes. I still have to do those!

Meg said...

Congrats! We had ours done in Feb but we had someone do them. I like knowing that I have someone to call/blame when letters come from the IRS:> However, I don't remember getting a treat. So excited for Golden Spoon next week... and Jalapenos... and all our other fav spots!!