Tuesday, February 17, 2009

don't judge a book by its cover


unless it's your job!

So I found this article on Nicole Hill's blog. What a fun job! I think my graphic design friend Ayumi and I should go into it together-- she could do the design and I could read books all day and tell her about them and what should be on the cover! Sounds marvelous. No but really.

So I kinda don't like the idea of the e-books. There is just nothing like the feel of turning the page of a new book. And the smell. And the way they look on the shelves. So anyways, I loved Coralie Bickford-Smith's response when they asked her what excites her the most about the future of books:

"Designers that keep on pushing forward book design and making sure new generations appreciate the beauty in the printed word. As e-books take off as a convenient way for people to read, books are going to have to work harder to justify their existence as physical objects, which is where designers come in. I think it’s going to be an exciting time."

I'm glad someone else is on my side :)

5 comments:

Rachel DeFreese said...

I love the way you think, Mary Carol! When my children bring home books from the library rather than ebooks, I'll send you a thank you note--hopefully the note will look half as fancy as your valentines.

iyouandme said...

I'm in. Let's start a business. I don't like reading books I don't want to read. So you can read them, and we can come up with a cover idea, and I'll design. PERFECT.

MC + A

Raimo and Jessica Laitinen said...

Hey MC and Nate- I saw your blog on Yoom's site. I completely agree with you on the importance of the printed word! My husband and I were just talking about it! I looove beautiful books! You two sound like you're loving marriage! We do too!

Kaela Cusack said...

we missed you at dinner! hope you are feeling better :)

Brenda said...

E-books will never take the place of "real" books! I love to snuggle up in a chair or in bed with a book and they do smell good!