Wednesday, January 21, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things

So you know how Oprah has her famous "Favorite Things" episode every year? I always covet all of the fun items, but they are usually a little too pricey or not available locally. I decided that I wanted to do a post about all of our favorite things here in Utah Valley... but there's a catch. You have to leave one of your favorite things in our comments. Or do your own post. And if you're not in the area, then do it for wherever you live. 

And now, in no particular order, my favorite things...


Sunflower Market

This place has the BEST produce of anywhere around and it's so incredibly cheap. For example, entire boxes of blueberries and blackberries for $0.88, big bunches of asparagus for $1, amazing grapefruits for $0.50 each, avocados for $0.50 each, kiwis 5 for $1, and salmon (not raised on farms) for like $3.99 a lb. And if you go on Wednesday, you get the deals for the previous week and the next week. Our market isn't as fancy as the one in the photo, but it's still really nice. They also have fresh sushi daily. I haven't tried that yet, though. My favorite thing is to take $10 and see how much I can get for it. I usually walk out with like 3 bags stuffed with fresh produce. One day I was in line and me and three other random girls I met were all competing to see who got the most for their money. Kind of a funny game, but surprisingly fun. It's also a great place if you have a gluten allergy or any other kind of food restriction. They claim to buy all of their produce locally and most of the meat I have looked at is not farm-raised. I can't get too organic on our income, but Sunflower Market definitely helps.


Pizzeria 712

If I could choose where to go out to dinner, I would always choose this place. It's soooo good! Their philosophy is: "When you have the best & tastiest ingredients, you can cook very simply & the food will be extraordinary because it tastes like what it is." And their food is extraordinary. It's priced kinda middle. I guess middle for us. It's not as cheap as a place like Cafe Rio, but probably comparable to CPK. I'm not sure because we haven't gone in a while. Sad. Their menu is always changing depending on what ingredients they have and it's a really fun atmosphere. Plus, you get humus while you're waiting for your food to arrive.


Orem Fitness Center

Nate and I were feeling like we were starting to get out of shape, but it's hard to work out in the snow. Luckily we found out that because Nate works part-time at UVU we could join for $25 for the entire year! It's no Gold's Gym, but there is an indoor pool and jacuzzi, an indoor track, the usual gym equipment, a weight room, like 15 racquet ball courts, an indoor shooting range, and tons of fun classes for free! I recently began taking yoga and pilates. My friend Mesia teaches yoga on Saturdays at 10 am and it's awesome. However, I took a pilates class one morning and I was the youngest by about 35 years. The instructor kept telling us she couldn't do the stretch because of her hip replacement. It was interesting, but not quite the workout I'm used to. haha. At least it made me feel really in shape :)


Provo Bakery

So I've lived here about 5 years and my biggest complaint was that there isn't a decent place to buy a doughnut. Seriously. Krispy Kreme is fine, but it's not the traditional doughnut. Normally I end up at Smith's or another grocery store, but the choices there are definitely limited. Well Nate and I went on a search and we found a place right under our noses: Provo Bakery. It's amazing and not that expensive. They don't just have doughnuts either. They have cinnamon rolls, bread, cookies, and all of the other essential bakery goodies.


Board Game Revolution

Our friend's Sam and Carlene introduced us to this place. Basically you can rent board games for 10% of the cost of the board game. Then when you return the game, you can take the money you spent on the rental and apply it toward any game in the store. The best part is that the rental is for 10 days. It's really a fun thing to do when you get sick of the snow and cold. We have several different friends that like to play with us. We recommend all of the Ticket to Ride games (especially Marklin and Europe), Pirates Cove, and the new version of Clue.

9 comments:

Meg said...

I love all your favs. I can't believe you can get blueberries for 88 cents. They are $4.99 at Whole Foods right now. A new favorite of mine in Indy is an old school ice cream place we just found that you walk up to. They have an amazing amount of flavors but they didn't have rocky road for some reason (my fav). Don't worry, the guy who gave us tastes of everything offered to take my name and number so that he could call when they made it fresh. How's that for customer service?

Brenda said...

Wow - fun blog! I will need to try that pizza place. We're meeting you guys tomorrow night at the Orem Rec center for Wallyball, so we know that's a fun place too. I love the Scera movie theatre in Orem. The matinee price is around $4.50 (regular price is still only $6.50), I love the kids that volunteer there, it's NEVER sold out because it's so big, and they show nice movies - nothing too graphic, violent, etc.

Annie said...

Umm...how come I didn't know about any of the places you mentioned. The Sunflower Market looks and sounds amazing. So glad you shared a few of your favorite things. I would love to see you ASAP! I've missed you two.

P.S. In case you didn't know the top of your wedding cake is in my freezer. Don't worry Joe and I have refrained from sampling it.

randy n michele said...

Thanks for sharing your favorites,
I know what I will be doing next time I go to Provo..

sarah marie. said...

so glad to see p712 on here! hmmm..i'm trying to think of a favorite thing. i love training table cheese fries with their dipping sauce..that's a utah thing.

Kaela Cusack said...

great list! some i've tried, some i have not.
I like Gloria's little Italy at Center and University. So authentic!

Tolman Family said...

What a great idea! I'm going to take your advice and do a post on my blog about Monterey. As for Utah, I love to visit "15th and 15th" in Salt Lake City. (1500 E 1500 S) It's a block of interesting shops and restaurants. Kind of out of the way and unique. It's a fun date night.

Ashley said...

One of the BEST things in the Utah Valley is for sure-you will think I am crazy-the hospital cafe. Call me cheap but they have great corndogs and when you are not in the mood to cook or eat healthy-it is always a great option. Plus, it is open 24 hours. Why not?

Jeff-Deanna-Hannah said...

"I think it's time for a new post!" :) Love you guys!