Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

So Nate has strep throat... 'tis the season! I thought it would be fun to have a laid back night at home. I put a roast in the crock pot, made some rolls, and bought some holiday decorations at the dollar store. While there, they had these garish felt stockings and I almost bought them. Normally I am a minimalist when it comes to decorating, but there is something about Christmas. It's supposed to be festive, right? Well I went for some simpler green ones and got some fake gold poinsettia blooms to hang them on. Well I've been hanging some stuff up, but I was perplexed as to where to hang our stockings. We have this empty wall in our living room because we just moved our furniture all around. I was trying to think how to make it look like I didn't just slap two stockings in the middle of the wall. Nate is pretty creative usually so I consulted him. He said that we could get some butcher paper and make a fake fireplace. I was so excited! Seriously. I thought it sounded fun. He burst out laughing... for like ten minutes. He was like, "You only do that when you're in second grade!" Looks like I need a new solution :(

I've been searching out marthastewart.com for ideas, but nothing yet. I will post some pictures when we get it all finished!

4 comments:

Colby and Katie said...

ok...I saw the Cutest thing at a craft store when I was shopping with Colby's mom. It was a wood hanging about three feet wide. It said in cute lettering "the stockings were hung..." and then had four cute hooks on the bottom to hang stockings from. I thought it would be perfect for a home with a fireplace!

Meg said...

Poor Nate with strep throat!! That's the worst. Glad to hear that you are decking the halls.

iyouandme said...

whatever. I would definitely make a fake fireplace out of butcher paper. And I'm not in second grade. Tell nate that. Haha.

Brenda said...

We don't have a fireplace either at this house, so we hang them on the coat hooks in the front hall - oh well, Santa seems to find them.