Wednesday, November 5, 2008

votes are in ... almost

I couldn't sleep last night. I kept checking Nate's phone (our internet was out AGAIN) to see if Prop 8 had passed. I kept waking up poor Nate, but for some reason I just couldn't sleep. I just can't believe we won... I mean I can, but at the same time I can't. I know every news article keeps talking about how it's not over and this is going to go to the Supreme Court and all of the other states are going to legalize gay marriage... but can we just enjoy this for a moment? It's a pretty BIG DEAL. I have been so impressed by so many people (my own parents included) and it's nice to see people stand up for the right thing. It's rare.

My mom said she doesn't think the Church will ever be the same in California again. She was talking about how other people view members, but I don't think the members themselves will ever be the same again. I think it's been a long time since so many members were forced to stand up for what they believe in such difficult, lonely, and at times scary circumstances, but I have been impressed over and over again by so many people and the personal sacrifices they made. Not only did everyone stand up for what they believed in, but they did it in a respectful and Christlike way. And people listened. And because of those people, the sanctity of marriage is safe in California (at least for the time being).

I guess what I'm saying is that I better not hear anyone use the term "California Mormon" in a belittling tone ever again :)

5 comments:

Aly and Brad said...

Thank you for getting the word out! It was so nice to read through the consequences of legalizing gay marriage. It is also rare for a woman to like economics! I love it! By the way- I randomly found your blog- My sister Tricia is engaged to Doug.

Jeff and Passelly said...

I have been checking the vote count online all day. Im so glad Prop 8 finally passed. It angers me that the no on 8 people already filed 3 lawsuits against it. Californians have voted to ban same sex marriage TWICE now. These people are unbelievable... they dont understand what a democracy is.

Jeff and Passelly said...

Haha, I promise as long as "Utah mormons" stop taking a bad rap, except for the dorky ones, you can make fun of them, deal?

Jeff

Cara said...

I didn't know there was a term 'California Mormon.' I agree with you that it has been pretty amazing to hear about how everyone has gotten involved!

So Cara set-up my I-chat through AIM last night and it's awesome. We talked to Shauna, saw her kids, she could see my house... all for free. I think you need to set it up. I'll help you do it... totally easy:>

Cara said...

Whoops.. it's meg. Cara was on my computer and I forgot to log out:>